Referees’ body PGMOL says it is taking new allegations around Premier League official David Coote “very seriously”.
Coote is suspended from his role pending an investigation into a video which emerged earlier this week, in which the 42-year-old appeared to make disparaging remarks about former Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.
Uefa, European football’s governing body, has also launched its own investigation and suspended Coote.
On Wednesday, the Sun newspaper published pictures it says were taken during this summer’s European Championship, alleging they appear to show Coote sniffing a white powder through a rolled up US bank note.
Coote was working at the Euros in his capacity as a match official.
A PGMOL spokesperson said: “We are aware of the allegations and are taking them very seriously.
“David Coote remains suspended pending a full investigation.
“David’s welfare continues to be of utmost importance to us and we are committed to providing him with the ongoing necessary support he needs through this period. We are not in a position to comment further at this stage.”
Neymar made an emotional return to his boyhood club Santos last monthThe 33-year-old has been linked with a European football comeback next term L
Key eventsShow key events onlyPlease turn on JavaScript to use this featureSouthampton: With the teams separated by 52 points, Southampton face a daunting weeke
Sir Jim Ratcliffe is making another round of redundancies at Manchester United but the sharp drop in staff is at odds with European rivals who are adding to the